Hooray on deciding to learn to hula hoop. Hula Hooping has been the most rewarding activity for me and I have really enjoyed the benefits of hula hooping immensely. Along the way you will switch from beginner dance hula hoops through to poly pro hoops. Each hula hoop may feel different and you may feel more comfortable using a specific hoop for a specific trick or hula hoop dance move.
It’s best that before ordering you pick a hoop size based on your ability. See Hula hoop profile and your body size below. We make hula hoops for adults and kids for sale in NSW, Sydney’s Northern Beaches.
A simple fact that will take you far If you are interested in a good workout, keep in mind that the lighter in weight the hoop is, the more calories you will burn, because you will need to work harder to keep the hoop up in revolution. Here you will get an idea of how to determine what size hula hoop you will need to get you hula hooping!
Hula Hoops Sizing
- Beginner Dance Hula Hoops: My dance hula hoops are 95cm in diameter, 20mm thick and weigh 370 grams which are great for learning to hula hoop being suited for on body hula hooping and off body hula hooping.
- Fitness Hula Hoops: My fitness hula hoops are 100cm in diameter, 25mm thick and weigh 500 grams. These hula hoops are perfect for waist hooping as well as suited for those of you who are larger in waist size to help you learn to hula hoop with greater ease.
- Travel Hula Hoops: My Travel Hula Hoops are 95cm in diameter with all 6 pieces connected together and 83cm with 5 pieces connected. This hoop is perfect if you travel a lot with your hoop or want to make hula hooping more readily accessible by carrying your hula hoop around.
- Intermediate OR Kids Dance Hula Hoops: My kids or intermediate hula hoops are 85cm in diameter, 20mm thick and weigh 210 grams – perfect for kids 6 years and under
- Twin Hula Hoop Packs: My twin hula hoop packs consist of 2x 85cm diameter hoops, 20mm thick and weigh 210 grams each
- Mini Hula Hoops: My Mini Hula Hoops Packs consist of 2x 76cm hoops, 20mm thick and weigh 150 grams. Mini size is suitable for kids under 6 yrs of age.
New to Hula Hooping / Hula Hoop Dance?
If you are new to hula hooping it is preferable to start off with a 95cm Dance Hula Hoop, however if you are experiencing extreme difficulty in keeping the hoop in orbit you are best to start off with the 100cm fitness hula hoop, the larger the diameter . The more that you practice, the better you will get at it, each time.
The rule is: Lighter and smaller the hoop = lighter and faster. Thicker and/or larger = heavier and slower. Make sure you check out my online course learning to hula hoop which contains a large collection of beginner hula hoop classes and lessons which will have you started with all of the core foundations and packed with beginner hula hoop tricks.
Ready to move into more advanced Hula Hooping?
Once you become more experienced and have mastered keeping your hula hoop up in orbit around your waist and hips with ease and control, its time to upgrade to a medium size hoop which is ideal for learning off-body hooping techniques. Off-body hooping is the practice of manipulating the hoop with your hands, arms, and elbows, lifting it off your body in circular momentum.
Consider your Hula Hoop profile:
Review the hoop profile and body size information below. Never hooped before? Don’t panic, It really is simple, just keep reading, it will only take a few minutes to learn to speak our language.
- Absolute beginner; never hula hooped before AT ALL 95cm Beginner Dance Hula Hoop
- Overweight : If you are overweight and are looking at hula hooping for weight loss 100cm Fitness Hula Hoop
- Beginner; never hooped with anything other than a 1958 Wham-O Hula-Hoop® 95cm Beginner Dance Hula Hoop
- Intermediate; you have no problem hooping around your waist and keeping it up, you can turn around while hooping, dance a little, and you have experimented with just a few fun tricks. 85cm Intermediate Dance Hula Hoop
- Expert; you steal the show people watch you with their mouth open! 85cm Dance Hula Hoop
- Children’s Hula Hoop; Smaller diameter hula hoops are suitable for children 85cm or 76cm Kids Dance Hula Hoop
Now that you’ve determined what hula hoop profile you are and what hoop size you’ll need, its time to choose your hand made new hula hoop, and start having loads of fun by hooping into health and well being! Make sure you check out my online hula hooping course learning to hula hoop which contains a large collection of hula hoop classes and lessons which will have you started with all of the core foundations and packed with beginner hula hoop tricks.
Fitness Hula Hooping
Fitness hoops are slightly heavier and thicker than Dance Hoops, weighing 500gms and 25mm thickness. These hula hoops are designed for on-body hooping and some basic off-body hooping. Check out our Fitness Hula Hoops
Learn Hula Hoop
NEW to hula hooping? Learn hula hooping with my Hula Hooping Beginners Course which you can access all 41 lessons online or download anytime.
These online hula hoop classes contains 6 modules and 41 hula hooping classes covering the absolute beginner foundations of hula hooping and hoop dance. My classes contain the necessary hula hooping classes to give you the skills to kick start your hooping journey. By the end of this beginner hooping course you will have learnt how to hula hoop around your waist with full confidence and control. You will learn how to stand correctly whilst hula hooping to allow maximum posture and support. You will learn to save when it falls and more importantly sustain relaxed movements while practicing a full body workout with your dance hoop.
Together with a large range of on-body hoop moves as well as loads of off body hoop dance moves, at the end of the modules we celebrate by combining the hoop moves together into a hoop dance flow session.
As you work through these hoop dance classes with me one by one, I want you to be aware that practice is key to learning hooping so make sure to be patient with yourself and more importantly relax and have fun with it. Hooping is about moving freely with your hoop and bringing play into your daily practice so leave any self criticisms behind and lets learn to hoop.